Wednesday 13 April 2011

Day 24, Qualification Day!

What a surprise it was when after we got back from St Albans today to be told that I was being qualified!

It was a normal route there and back with both trainer Mike and Kelly accompanying me. Odene reacted well to another dog which potentially could have gone very badly. We came back home though, I offered tea which I started making but then Mike distracted me by saying, 'Kelly has some good news for you' to which Kelly said 'yep, you're now qualified!'.

I signed the Guide Dog Ownership Agreement, handed over 50 pence as per the agreement at which point Odene became a qualified Guide Dog and I became a qualified owner! Yipee! I will be celebrating tonight but not sure in what way yet!

Kelly and Mike were really complimentary about Odene and I, saying that we didn't look like a partnership that had only been together a few weeks but instead were a partnership that had been together a lot longer. I must admit, I feel so comfortable with Odene now, I'm far less conscious of what I should be doing next and instead it is coming naturally. I've got to thank Kelly and Mike for all their superb training and of course Odene, she has been brilliant and it's thanks to her trainers, borders, puppy walkers and everyone else involved that she has turned out to be such an excellent Guide Dog.

Of course it's not all over, I'm seeing Kelly tomorrow to do our first meet with my parents dog Inca followed by visiting the vets on Friday to get her flea treatment done. It just means that in the meantime if I want to go out, nothing is stopping us!

Planning on taking it gradually and I certainly will be sensible but boy am I excited!!!

My official qualifying Guide Dog Ownership photo card and badge!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Ems, I understand how exciting it is go it alone with a new dog..all the best Ian

    ReplyDelete