Tuesday 12 April 2011

Day 23 of GDT

London! We made it there and back in one piece!

Odene as usual performed brilliantly and she didn't mind the trains at all. It was certainly my longest journey for a coffee that's for sure! Instead of sitting at every right or left turn we did turns on the move in London. It made sense being that it's a lot busier with more chance of Odene getting trodden on. It did however mean quick travelling which was quite cool.

One thing that was a really big surprise was the need to get the escalators turn off. On part of my route the only way to get to different platforms are going up or down escalators which is a big no no for Guide Dogs. We had to ask rail staff if it could be turned off before we could go on them, made me feel very important! It makes me realise though just how many steps there are to take on the underground... at least I'll become fit with Odene!

If I were to take to the trains on my own I think I'll phone ahead to tell them of my journey to warn them that I will need escalators turned off so that they can look out for me. Else there may be a lot of waiting around looking for rail staff.

Once at Moorfields Eye Hospital we met up with a lady called Barbara along with her Guide Dog who works at Moorfields. I've actually met her before on one of my previous eye sight appointments but it was nice to get to know her a bit better and is someone I can hopefully see again next time I'm up there. We took both our dogs to the spending pen which Moorfields have created specially for Guide Dogs. I'm not sure if I'm mentioned this or not in previous posts but spending equals going to the loo. At home and at both work places, I spend Odene on grass or woodchip. The spending pen at Moorfields is made out of concrete with drains incorporated. Odene went second and I wasn't too sure that she would go or not but after a bit of sniffing she went on command, 'busy busy'.

It was a shorter day for me but it certainly was tiring, Odene is once again sprawled out on the floor. Kelly shot a pic of us on the train coming home so do take a look at her in her body piece! The metal harness bar is detached on journeys by bus, train or even just if I'm going to be lying her down for a few minutes as it can get in the way of her curling up and it can get quite uncomfortable just resting on her back.

Odene on the train!

No comments:

Post a Comment